Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Black Sheep Gathering

I mentioned yesterday (wow, two posts in two days!) that I spent Saturday in Eugene at the Black Sheep Gathering. It was my first time for this event -- hard to believe, but true.


There was a LOT of stuff to see and do. I mostly wandered the vendor area collecting business cards and asking questions. You'll find out more about that soon enough. :)


I did end up buying a few things, though. Just couldn't resist!


So, what you see here is 4 ounces of Cormo top from Rainbow Yarns Northwest in beautiful mottled colors that I think will spin up into some gorgeous, lofty yarn. I just love Cormo and I love these colors, too!


The other two items are from Jenkins Woodworking. I spent a lot of time touching and playing with the beautiful Turkish spindles Ed and Wanda were selling before finally deciding on the larger one in the picture, a Turkish Delight in Bois de Rose wood. It weighs in at 25 grams. As you can see, I've tried it out a bit already.


The other spindle is the small but mighty Kuchulu. The shaft on this little guy is only 3.5" long and it weighs in at 14 grams. I was resisting the cuteness of these babies until Wanda pulled this one out. It's made from deer antler with a cocobolo shaft. Way too cool to pass up! This one is actaully heavier than many of the ones on display because of the antler. There was a pretty one made from bamboo that weighed just 8 grams!


I'm new to this drop-spindle stuff (I usually stick to my wheel), but I can definitely see the allure. Now I just have to get the cat to stop thinking that these spinning things on a string are cat toys.
Anyway, that's what I was up to on Saturday. Stay tuned. . . :)


3 comments:

Little Ol' Liz said...

Gosh - I envy your access to all things fiber! I'd never get anything done if I didn't live in such a fiber-barren area!!!

Maggie Gean said...

I wanna go too...I wanna go

Inventory Management Software said...

Thanks for sharing your post and it was superb .I would like to hear more from you in future too.