Monday, August 10, 2009

Ups and downs in the yarniverse

Major up: Sock Summit '09! Seriously, I had the time of my life and was a bit sad today that I wasn't driving back to the Convention Center for more. There was so much to see and do and experience and I feel like I did so much and still missed bunches. Throughout the weekend, I think I took about five pictures. Bad blogger! If you look around, you'll find lots of them, though, so I'm not too worried that you're missing out.

Down: Although 99% of vendors and attendees were great, awesome, and wonderful to work with, shop with, schmooze with, and chat with, there were still a couple of vendors who were quite rude on the loading dock Wednesday and a few stories of attendees who were rude in the marketplace. Just shows to go ya that knitters are people, too. Still, it's sad to me that we can't all just enjoy and go with the flow. Oh well!

Up: Got to meet Kim from Happy Hands (great yarns), have dinner with Ang and John from Serendipitous Ewe (more great yarns), show my patterns to Sheri from the Loopy Ewe (most awesome-est online store ever), and learn from Amy Singer herself how to increase the odds of being published on Knitty.

Down: Had to skip the Sock Hop and the Ravelry meet-up because my feet/ankles weren't holding up very well after long days on concrete floors. The mind is still young, but the body? Not so much!

Up: Although not yarn-related, I started training for my new job today. Before long, I'll be working it full-time. This will be a nice change from part-time transcription that can come in at any hour of the day or evening and keep me working late into the night and on Sundays. Instead, I'll be working weekdays with the ability to really have free evenings again. I'll still teach on Mondays at the yarn shop and work there on Saturdays, too (although I don't know how long I'll keep up with the Saturdays -- we'll see).

Major Down: Got word today that another LYS is closing. Abundant Yarn & Dyeworks is taking down their shingle and I'm really sad. Aside from the fact that several of my friends will be out of a job, the community is losing a great store and cafe. Heck, you could go there and get a good meal and even beer or wine and enjoy the fibery atmosphere. But after the end of the month, it will be gone. The online presence will remain, but it just won't be the same. :(

And so it goes. . .

No comments: