I know, the common thing to do is WIP Wednesday. But I never seem to make it in time and besides, Wednesday night is my regular knitting group, so I'm usually not ready to post a WIP until after that and then it's too late at night.
That's my logic and I'm stickin' with it!
So, here are the two things I finished last night at knit group:
First up, the second iteration of Sea Socks (replacing the pair I wore out).
Yarn: Colinette Jitterbug in the Blue Parrot colorway (my favorite)
Needles: US 1 (2.25mm) DPNS
Pattern: My standard 3x3 seed-stitch rib
Now, if you know about Jitterbug yarn, you know that the skeins are notoriously low yardage. And if you know my feet (sorry, why would you?), you'd know that they are large. The combination rarely works out well. In anticipation of this, I purchased an additional half skein of Jitterbug from The Loopy Ewe so I wouldn't end up with a toe-less sock. When I cast off last night, I had about 10 inches of yarn left -- from the original skein. Whew! So now I have a half skein of the pretty yarn left over. But no worries, I have plans for it!
Next, I finished a pair of these gloves. I still need to get D-rings for the strap,so there's a shawl pin holding it together in the picture. Do you know how hard it is to take a picture of your own hand?
Pattern: Driver Gloves from Robin Melanson's Knitting New Mittens & Gloves book
Yarn: Classic Elite Portland Tweed in #5078 - Expresso - one skein is all that's needed for a pair
Needles: US 3 (3.25mm) DPNs for the strap; US4 (3.5mm) straights and DPNs for the rest
The pattern had some issues with how it was worded. Got me a bit confused. Especially when doing the bind-offs for the knuckle holes. The instructions clearly tell you that needle 1 of the four DPNS is holding stitches that start in the middle of the back of the hand. But when you get to the place where you bind off stitches for the knuckles, it doesn't say to stop the previous row at the end of needle 3 and start the knuckle placements at the beginning of needle 4. Effectively, you're shifting the placement of the beginning of the round.
After that, the instructions for how to space the holes are a bit murky as well. I thought I had it figured out for the first one, but I wasn't really happy with how it looked. When I did the second one, I think I figured it out a bit better, but I decided that I didn't want to go back and rip out the first one, so I just made them match. They're close enough.
Yeah, I'm not a perfectionist. I just call it a "design feature."
Anyway, if you make these -- and you should because they're an awesoe one-skein project -- just be aware that you'll need to fiddle a bit with the pattern. I didn't find an errata online yet and I didn't really write one up, either. My bad!
So that's what I finished on Wednesday. Hope you got some good stuff accomplished as well!