Tuesday, November 04, 2008

YEAH!


There have been several events in my lifetime for which I will forever remember where I was when I heard about them.

JFK shot
MLK shot
RFK shot
John Lennon shot
Challenger explosion

I am so proud and happy to add a joyous occasion to that list, for today is a day I will always remember. The day Americans answered the call from JFK when he said, "Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country." The day when Martin Luther King, Jr.'s dream was realized, when Americans followed his plea to "Keep hope alive!" The day that Barack Obama was elected President of the United States of America.

I'm verklempt to be alive to see this day. Wow.

ribby slipper socksI was knitting as I watched election returns. And I finished a pair of Ribby Slipper Socks (from the 2008 Holiday IK) as Senator McCain gave his very gracious concession speech. It's too dark to take a picture of the pair, but I snapped this one earlier today. It's a very simple and quick pattern.

Yarn: Imperial Stock Ranch worsted. Held double-stranded for the foot, single stranded for the cuff.
Needles: US 10.5DPNs for foot; US 8 for cuff

If you need a last-minute holiday gift, these are a good bet. A pair can be whipped up in an evening or two.

Now if you'll excuse me, President-elect Obama is giving his acceptance speech and a glass of red wine is waiting for me!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Finally, we have a reason to feel thankful and proud to be Americans! As my husband said last night, "I was so sick of being ashamed of our government". President Obama has a more difficult job ahead of him than anyone can imagine, but one thing he's shown is that he is prepared to lead.

President Obama...I like the sound of that!