Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Bits of brightness in the dark

Days are shorter and shorter and sometimes it's hard to realize it's day at all because the dark and dreary time is upon the Pacific Northwest.

However, there are always bright spots to be found when you're a fiber fanatic!120 g (250yd) dragon waste superwash Need proof?

Okay, here's some. This is ~120 grams / 250 yards of my very own handspun yarn. It's nothing fancy, just superwash merino purchased at OFFF last year. The fiber started as discards from various batts that were sold as "Dragon Waste" for something like $15 a pound. I picked through the bag and got as much of these two colors as I could find. The singles were fairly consistent, although far from perfect, and the finished yarn is simply two singles barberpoled together. I really like the effect. Now I need to figure out what to make with it!

Sorry for the poorly-lit pictures. Today is definitely one of those grey Northwest days!

STR mediumweight Muddy Autumn RainbowTo further brighten things around here, I received the final shipment of the Blue Moon Rockin' Sock Club yarn. This is called Muddy Autumn Rainbow and came with a lovely pattern from Anne Hanson. The dyer's notes say that no two skeins of this shipment are alike, so if you think this is a spoiler, you still may be surprised when you open your own package. Pics on Ravelry definitely show a range of colors arriving in peoples' mailboxes. I love the one I got and I'm very happy that it's mediumweight since that is quickly becoming my favorite STR weight.

I have been doing some knitting, but it's been scattered among different projects and nothing shows much progress at this point. So you'll have to settle for pictures of yarn for now.

And for those in the U.S., Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Aimee said...

Your handspun is beautiful!