Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Just call me square!

I've been busily knitting squares for a "test-along" project that Larissa is doing for her upcoming book. One skein of Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in the color Baltic Sea yielded four squares on size 2 DPNs, each approximately 7" square when blocked. I really like the way the color striped, so here's two pictures -- one in the pre-spring sunshine on my deck, the other inside. Hope Larissa likes them!


In other square news, my LYS just started an Aran Squares Knit-along using Leisue Arts booklet "Sampler Afghans." Each month, the group will knit one square from the book, yielding enough squares to make an afghan approximately 36"x48". The first square is pattern #15, six-stitch cable. You can see how far I've gone so far. I'm using yarn from my stash, in this case a cone of acryllic worsted weight in soft Navy that I got from Herrschners some time ago. I also have a cone of Carol Simply Soft in gray and I'm thinking I'll do half the squares in blue and half in gray, maybe use a third color for the borders and joining them all together, but I'm not sure yet.

In other knitting news, I started a pair of socks with the wonderful Mountain Colors Bearfoot yarn, but realized part way in that they were going to be a little small for my gigantic rather large very own personal feet, so I'm going to frog and start again with a larger needle size.
Oh, I almost forgot! I will soon be doing some test knitting for Knit Picks! I'm so excited! Isela mentioned the possibility to me and I followed up. Now my first project is on its way to my postal box and I can't wait to get started! I had been saying to friends that I wished I could be paid to knit so I could do it more often and now that's exactly what will be happening. Granted, it's not enough to quit my "regular" work by any means, but it is getting paid to knit. LOL

No comments: