Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Where does the time go? Part deux

Okay, let's continue the saga. . .

I received my Wonderlooms from Decor Accents in both Extra Small (3/8" spacing) gauge and Extra Fine gauge. They're works of art! About the same time I received the new looms, I was in Joanns and found their big skein of Rainbow Boucle on sale for $5! Schwing!!! There's more than enough yarn in one of those skeins to make a shawl and since I seem to be in a shawl kind of mode lately, home it came and my ESG Wonderloom called its name. Since the boucle and the gradual color change are the stars of this show, stitch pattern is way less important. But I did want something more than just stockinette or garter stitch, so I decided to try the Mock Crochet stitch from Tina Edgar. I made a few garter stitch ridges to start and kept a three-stitch garter stitch edge on each side. I worked a flat panel using all the pegs on the outside of the Wonderloom. The result is turning into a very nice, fluffy, wrap shawl that curves a bit at the bottom edges because the garter stitch border doesn't make as tall a row as the mock crochet stitch does. The stitch pattern leaves spaces, which give a slight airy feel to the fabric. I think it's going to be really nice. I plan to finish it with some beaded fringe to add a touch of elegance. This one works up fairly quickly because the stitch is really easy to do. I like the portability of the loom size, too. I hope to finish this for use when the weather starts cooling down. I don't think the picture does it justice, but you get the idea. :)


Finally, I rearranged my knitting nook. Before, I was using a TV tray as a table. So I brought in a nightstand from my mom's stuff (the rest of the bedroom set is still stuffed in my den downstairs, but that's another story) and put that in place of the TV tray. Viola! Now there's a spot to tuck my current books and magazines away neatly and a drawer to hold all the odds and ends like stitch markers and tape measures and such. Next to the nightstand is a large wrapping paper holder I got on sale after Christmas last year. It's the perfect size for holding my 30" AJAL with the Old Shale Shawl in progress on it. So when I finish working on it for a bit, I can just stash it in there and it's safe from the cat and not draped on the chair or sitting on the floor. Perfect! Then there's my canvas project bag with the prayer shawl in progress. Hmmm, I suppose I ought to work on that again sometime! Of course, the rocker is there for comfort and my favorite footstool, too. I got the footstool on sale for $20. It doesn't look like much, but it's awesome. Push a button on the side and it vibrates! Perfect for my tired feet and legs! And of course, there's my Ott Lite with the magnifying glass so I can see what I'm doing on small projects. Out of the picture frame is my office area where I spend most of my time, and a TV so I can catch up on my shows while I knit. It's a very pleasant spot in the house. :)

Okay, that's about it for now. I'll try and not take another month before I post another update! Knit for Joy! And remember, it's the journey, not the destination -- except when there's a Flock and Fiber Festival coming up on September 22-24. Then it's definitely the destination! Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a nice place to sit and knit, read, relax, whatever. I think I need such a place! I love how you organzied everything. Looks great.