Sunday, August 02, 2009

We got inked!

My friend Angel and I spent the day together for the first time in way too long a time. We met in the morning over in Portland's Hollywood District at a little shop called TigerLily. There we met with Alex, a wonderful artist, who had transformed our descriptions into some pretty cool artwork. It took a while for everything to get set up and done, but by the end of the day, we had these.

Cindy - final1bCindy - final1a

That's an ambigram on the top of my wrist. Can you see? It says "Spin" in one direction, and "Knit" in the other direction. Here's the rest of the bracelet:

Cindy - final3 Cindy - final2
Can you see the little sheep head and the star in the first pic? You might recognize the sheep as my blog mascot. :) In the center on the back of my wrist is my Lendrum spinning wheel and the other side of the design has a ball of yarn with needles in it and a joyful heart, which is what I have whenever I'm spinning or knitting. I LOVE IT ALL!!!! It's exactly what I wanted -- no, wait, it exceeds my expectations. Alex rocks!

And here's Angel's ink, or at least part of it:

Angel - final Angel - final2

It's a winged heart that wraps all the way around her ankle with the tips of the wings just touching each other on the the opposite side. Under the wings are the names of her two sons, Tom and Greg. Unfortunately, it was kind of tight in that little room and by the time hers was finished, it was after 5:00, so I didn't get a picture of the other side showhing Greg's name.

Alex - the artistI think both designs are awesome and I'm really glad we found Alex. He just moved back to Portland from Albuquerque, New Mexico, which is why we were able to get time on his calendar so quickly. If you like his work and want some of your own ink, call soon, 'cause I'm pretty positive that he's going to be very busy very soon. The guy has skills! Thanks, Alex!!

After we left TigerLily, we jetted across town to Hillsboro and went to the Washington County Fair. We got there just in time to grab some fair food and get a seat at the destruction derby. We even managed to get a seat in the shade and it was quite comfortable, temperature-wise, which was a relief. Watching cars smash into each other relentlessly until only one could still move was a lot of fun. Watching the car in front of us for almost an hour as we tried to get out of the parking lot, not so much.

There are more pictures on my Flickr page.

But all in all, it was a great day. Judy was going to come with us, but her back had other ideas. We missed you, Judy! Hope it feels better.

Next up? Sock Summit!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, I love it! The spinning wheel is so cute, what a nice touch :)

Unknown said...

I can't believe you got a tatoo!! Ouchie!!

Shelly said...

Wow! That's cool!