Sunday, August 17, 2008

Red Scarf Project -- on the (half) double!

When I saw that the Red Scarf Project was starting again, I just had to make one. I knew I had this yarn in my stash and that it would be perfect for the occasion, so I dove in and found it. At the shop yesterday, we had received the Fall 2008 issue of the Merino Collection from Filatura di Crosa/Tahki Stacy Charles and there I found the perfect pattern.

mitered scarf1It's pattern #12 in the booklet, "Crochet 2-ball Mitered Scarf" by my favorite crochet designer, Doris Chan. Apparently the name of this design changed somewhere between initial prep and publication. Looks like it was called the "Maxime Print Colorblock Scarf" (Ravelry link), reflecting the recommended yarn.

Anyway, despite the record 102+F heatwave, the shop was fairly busy most of the day, but by 4:30, all had gone quiet, so I started working on this and kept going when I got home. It's a clever arrangements of half-double crochets in a mitered square pattern that builds one on top of the other with no seaming. I've got 12 repeats completed (the pattern calls for 19) and will keep going until I get the length I want. My gauge is one stitch smaller than the pattern calls for, but it's a scarf and I like the fabric, so who cares?

mitered scarf 2I did, however, find the pattern had some omissions. Nothing too serious; it was simple to figure out. Here's the errata:

Row 14: Work beg hdc, hdc in back lp only of each of next 2 hdc, hdc in back lp of same hdc (in Row 9) holding last sl st made, hdc in back lp of each of next 2hdc, sl st in back lp of same hdc (in Row 7), turn - 6 hdc.

Row 16: Work beg hdc, hdc in back lp only of each of next 6 hdc, hdc in back lp of same hdc (in Row 7) holding last sl st made, hdc in back lp of each of next 2hdc, sl st in back lp of same hdc (in Row 5), turn - 9 hdc.

Row 18: Work beg hdc, hdc in back lp only of each of next 8 hdc, hdc in back lp of same hdc (in Row 5) holding last sl st made, hdc in back lp of each of next 2hdc, sl st in back lp of same hdc (in Row 3), turn - 12 hdc.

Row 20: Work beg hdc, hdc in back lp only of each of next 11 hdc, hdc in back lp of same hdc (in Row 3) holding last sl st made, hdc in back lp of each of next 2hdc, sl st in back lp of same hdc (in Row 1), turn - 15 hdc.

Row 22: Work beg hdc, hdc in back lp only of each of next 14 hdc, hdc in back lp of same hdc (in Row 1) holding last sl st made, hdc in back lp of each of next 2hdc, sl st in same lp as last hdc made, turn - 18 hdc.

The pattern is really simple once you recognize how each square builds on the next. By square three, I didn't need to look at the pattern anymore. I love simple patterns like that! Especially when they end up looking like they're much more difficult.

As written, this design calls for alternating a print yarn with a sold, but I opted to use the same yarn throughout, mostly because it's what I have in the stash and I don't have a solid on hand that goes with it.

I'm using Interlacements Toasty Toes in the Reds Plus colorway. It's 100% superwash merino, so it fits the easy care needs of a college-bound student. The colors are very vivid, although I think they look a bit more vivid in these pics than in real life.

Have you started your own Red Scarf yet?

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Cindy you are amazing! Great looking scarf.

I found some red wool in my stash, & should be able to finish at least one scarf before the deadline!

Tabitha L said...

Hi great rreading your blog