Sunday, March 16, 2008

There'll be no beginning, there'll be no end

I promised some actual knitting content and here it is.

lace moebius WIP
My first Moebius! Yes, it's true, I'm late to the Moebius party. Not the first time I'm on the tail end of a wave and I'm sure not the last, either.

I'm making the White Lacy Shoulder Wrap pattern from Cat Bordhi's Treasury of Magical Knitting. It took me three tries to get the cast on correct, but once I got going, it's progressed very quickly. I was hoping to finish it this weekend, but work has intervened. I have about eight rows to go before binding off.

I know many of you have made Moebius objects. What I find particularly amusing is the look on the face of a non-knitter who innocently asks, "What are you making?" when I try to explain. "Is it a scarf? How do you wear it?" They seem very puzzled. I tell them it's a leap of faith and that it will be okay and "grow" when it comes off the needles.

I'm not lying; it is a leap of faith! I'm making the 50" size and I sure hope it doesn't grow to accommodate multiple people (Judy already had that experience and I don't want to duplicate it). I got gauge, so that's a good sign.

I'm knitting this with Artyarns Silk Rhapsody Glitter in a dark blue with silver thread. This yarn is yummy, yummy, yummy and perfect for this project. It's also expensive. I'm using two skeins for a total of 520 yards and will use just about every inch of it -- at least judging from the fact that at the halfway point of the pattern, I was almost out of the first skein of yarn.

The silk has been a welcome change for my hands from the 100% virgin wool of the Plymouth Tweed I'm using for my Mr. Greenjeans sweater. Oh! I don't have a picture for you (sorry), but I cast off the body of that bad boy on Monday afternoon. That's when I decided to work with some silk for a while and cast on for this Moebius. Once I finish this, I'll go back to Mr. Greenjeans and finish the sleeves and the button band and I'll have my very first sweater completed. Whee!

Then there are tons of things in the queue to make. Especially since we're starting to get the summer yarns in at the shop. The Cascade shipment alone yielded several beautiful cottons, painted 220, and scrumptious Venezia in a multitude of colors (70% wool, 30% silk, DK weight). And there was a whole box of sock yarn from a new vendor when I was there yesterday, along with some beautiful bamboo skeins. Oh my! Working in a yarn shop is going to be the death of my bank account!

Thanks to those of you who left comments on my late-night ranting about health insurance. I know there are lots and lots of people who have similar, or worse, problems with the U.S. system. Ranting didn't make the situation any different, but it did make me feel a bit better about it. :) Thanks for indulging me and sharing your viewpoints, too. :)

For now, I'm back to transcription -- although the lure of knitting on the silk Moebius is strong!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh the Moebius looks so neat! Such beautiful yarn too. Congratulations for getting the cast-on correct.