Sunday, November 25, 2007

Just a quickie

Hope you all had a great weekend. It's been busy here -- well, sort of. I had a big garage sale Saturday and Sunday. Yes, you read it correctly, a garage sale. In November. Thanksgiving weekend.

It went fairly well. Thanks for asking. No throngs of looky-loo shoppers, just an occasional hard-core garage sale seeker. Fortunately, most of them bought a thing or two when they visited. Still more fortunately, much of what was purchased was "the big stuff" that I really, really wanted to leave my humble abode. I sold a desk, a knitting machine, a table, a 27" TV and cabinet, and more. I didn't sell them for much, but it works out okay. My junk is now in someone else's garage. Perfect!

It was very cold here this weekend -- by Portland, Oregon standards, anyway -- in the 30s most of the time. Saturday it drizzled a bit, which didn't help. Today the sun was out, but it was still cold. Right now, my handy-dandy weather reporter on the computer says it's 28F outside. Brrr!

The nice thing about getting rid of all this stuff and reorganizing my house is that the den is now my knitting room. And it very conveniently has a window that looks out on the front driveway. So I sat in there from 10-4 both Saturday and Sunday knitting and listening to podcasts first, then Atonement on my iPod. Whenever I saw someone approach the house, I paused the iPod grabbed my coat and went to the garage in hopes of selling them something. In this fashion, I almost finished a second sock, caught up on my Knit Picks and Cast On podcasts, and listened to a couple hours of Atonement. Some friends came by near the end of the sale on Saturday and one of them ended up going to dinner with me. That was a nice capper to the day. Oh, and through it all, I made about $350 on the sale. Not bad.

Tonight, I did some transcription and downloaded files to be transcribed tomorrow. Tomorrow night will be my last Monday night knitting group because on Tuesday, I start my new part-time gig at All About Yarn in Tigard! I go in several days this week for training and then start on December 1 working Saturdays all day and Mondays from 5 to 8. Stop in and visit sometime if you're in the area. :)

December promises to be very busy because I'll be working three jobs -- the mainstay transcription/editing gig at home, part-time at the yarn shop two days a week, and dealing casino games at parties in the evenings. Next weekend is particularly daunting: Friday morning, yarn shop, then two casino gigs that night stretching from 5:00 to 11:00; Saturday 10-5 at the yarn shop, then a casino gig from 7:00 to 10:00; Sunday free time (probably with some transcription) then a casino gig from 6:30 to 9:30. Whew! December is the busiest time for the casino stuff, so send good thoughts in my direction. I'll be chugging a lot of Airborne to help fight off colds. Can't afford to be sick!

Okay, it's late. I have a lot of work to do tomorrow. Time for bed. Sorry there are no pictures. I'll have some next time! :)


Tiggywinkle Knits said...

So, where are the pictures of the new yarn room?

BTW, I love how the turkey "pauses" when I click on the comments button!

See you tonight at knitting.

Angelika said...

Looks like you are a busy lady. I guess you can get your knitting time in at the store, if there should be a break from customers. Happy knitting.