Saturday, July 28, 2007

Just a little S.A.S.

Yesterday's mail had a nice little surprise: A sample of Soxx Appeal, a new sock yarn from Knit One Crochet Too. (S.A.S = Soxx Appeal Sample)

I missed the cut to receive enough of this yarn to knit a full pair of socks, but they sent me a sample anyway. So, last night I knit it into a baby sock to see how it worked out.

The yarn is a mix of 96% superwash merino, 3% nylon, and 1% elastic. The color I received is called Copperfield. Recommended needle size is US2 (2.75mm) to yield 8sts/inch.

I immediately liked the feel of the yarn. Very soft. It appears to have a fairly tight twist, but when knitting, it can split a bit. Not enough to worry about, just enough that you have to pay a little bit of attention to what you're doing.

I knit the baby sock using US1 (2.25mm) needles because the larger needle made a looser fabric than I like. I got 9sts/inch and a very satisfying tight stitch that I think would be lovely and long-wearing in a full-sized sock.

The tiny bit of elastic is just enough to give the finished product a very nice 'memory' and the finished sock is very soft and pleasing to the touch. I will definitely buy this yarn. I predict lots of cozy feet wearing Soxx Appeal socks this winter!

2 comments:

Bobbie Wallace said...

Thanks for the review! I've been ogling their stuff but, of course, haven't ordered any! Bring it on Monday night; I'd like to feel, er, see, it in person. :)

Anonymous said...

Nice little sock!