Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Lacey days

Okay, first of all, I'm in total denial that Halloween is next week! It's simply not possible that October is almost over. Heck, what happened to August?! Needless to say, I am now VERY far behind on getting gifts made. Quick! Find some projects that work up quickly but look like they took forever! :)

Okay, here's what I have accomplished:

This is the Kevat (spring) scarf done in Rowan All Seasons Cotton. I had two skeins that I thought were the same dye lot, but I guess I'm wrong (the cat chewed up one wrapper, so I can't go back and check). If you look closely, you can see this is not the case! This is my first lace project on needles. It was a good place to start because the pattern is fairly simple. It's definitely not perfect, but it would take an experienced eye to figure out where the mistakes are and, since it was a practice piece for me, I'm not worried about it. The first picture is post-blocking.

The second picture is during blocking. As you can see, the dye lots are clearly not the same! LOL When it's dry, though, it's not as easy to tell the difference. Again, it's a practice piece, so I'm not going to sweat the details.

So, it's on to making gifts for Christmas! I wanted to make a shawl for my sister, but I know she would freak out at the thought of having to block it after washing, so I decided to do something in Homespun for it's easy care factors. I can "kill" the acryllic when I block it and then she can just wash it and lay flat to dry (Homespun doesn't hold up too well if you use the dryer). It will be soft and cuddly and that's the best part anyway. So I got this pattern for an Easy Triangle Shawl off the Lion Brand website and started knitting last night. The pattern calls for 10 repeats of the stitch pattern. The picture shows four repeats so far. It is indeed an easy pattern and I like the results so far. At least I know I have the same dye lot for all the yarn! LOL

I have a LOT more yarn that's calling my name and big plans to knit it all into marvelous things. I also still have a couple of projects in progress on my boards and some requests for new slippers since the ones I gave as gifts last year have worn out. Now could someone please arrange for me to win the lottery so I can quit working and start knitting???

Speaking of which, the keyboard is calling!! More later.

No comments: