Sunday, July 09, 2006

Summertime and the living is. . .

Well, actually the living is best classified as busy! Knitting has taken a bit of a back seat, but I have been experimenting. Mostly frogged those, though. Note to self: Experimentation frogged today leads to knitted masterpieces later!

Anyway, here's the progress on the lace wrap. I've decided to do alternating stripes of the silver, light gold, and dark gold colors. This pictures show it pinned a bit so the lace can be seen better. It will definitely need blocking, which will be a challenge logistically.
I think it might turn out quite nice, though.



I spent July 3rd at the Blues Festival at Riverfront Park in Portland. A friend and I worked a volunteer shift counting money as it came in from the gates, then hung out and watched people and listened to music for a while. The festival is a great chance to listen to wonderful music and see a HUGE variety of people and just enjoy being outside near the river. Since our volunteer shift was spent in a trailer with no windows and there were periods of nothing to do between times when the guys would bring the money in from the gates and concession stands, I took my Decor Accents EFG sock loom and some yarn and started my first sock. Took a bit to get used to the small stitches, but I managed to make a little progress. The great thing is that it's so darned portable. And I cannot imagine working on those tiny little needles to accomplish the same thing. Oh, the consensus in the trailer was that it would be a whole lot easier to just buy socks. I don't think they 'get it.' :) Oh, by the way, the Blues Festival is a benefit for the Oregon Food Bank and this year, they broke all the records and raised $545,000 and collected 103,501 pounds of food! Woo Hoo!

July 4th was the BIG parade here in Hillsboro, Oregon. Well, it's big by Hillsboro standards, anyway! There were 156 entries in the parade and the Tualatin Valley Cruiser Club was entry #106. You can read more about it on my other blog, Drive for Joy, and see pictures of my car as well as find a link to all my pictures on Club Photo. :) (I tried to post one here, but there must be a limit on number of pics in one post, 'cause it won't let me!)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your lace shawl and your sock is coming along. :) Nobody here "gets" knitting your own socks either, but it makes us happy so forget them. :)

angelique said...

Beautiful, Beautiful lace shawl! Your an inspiration!

Cindy, aka Maxfun said...

Thanks for the kudos, folks! :) Really, I owe the lace to Lynn Carpenter who posted how to make it on the rake.

Liz, I'm not sure what you mean by 'straight layer cast-on difficulty.' I just used a cable cast on and did it loosely, then followed the pattern.

Rather than move all the stitches across the third row (where all the YO and K2tog stuff happens), I move the first half of the stitches in the motif repeat, knit those off, then move the last half, knit those off, etcetera across the row. I have markers placed so that I know where each pattern repeat occurs. This gives the stitches some ease as you work across so it's easier to move them around.

Does that help? You can email me directly if you need more details. it's maxfun AT comcast DOT net. :)

Sorka said...

Oooh where did lynn post this?
on her blog??
Denise
knitchat.com

Cindy, aka Maxfun said...

Here's a direct link to Lynn's pattern for the basic Old Shale lace pattern. :) http://lost-arts.blogspot.com/2006/06/old-shale-pattern-on-single-rake.html#links

Anonymous said...

The shawl looks beautiful, thanks for sharing the oictures and tips with us.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.